Friday, April 26, 2013

Permission to not to

I did something last week that made me a little sick to my stomach.
I signed Caleb up for tackle football.
It doesn't make me queasy for the normal reason:
not wanting to see your first born get pummeled by a bunch of bigger boys.
I figure it can't be any worst than what he gets here when his sibling pile on him.
And at least there he gets pads and a helmet and permission to hit back!

I got queasy because football around here takes up a lot of time.
3 practices a week and a game on the weekend!
I have protected our family time with my life.
1. Because I am the only one available all of the time.
2. Because I like having meals together as a family.
3. Because I think kids can get more from tossing a football outside with their Daddy.
4. Because I like order and nothing about having 3 football practices a week plus gymnastics sounds like order!

But I'm trying to balance all of that with the knowledge that our kids need something that is just their own.  They need to see that they have gifts and talents that their siblings don't have.
They are unique.
I also see it as a ministry opportunity.
We get to know the people in our community and find out what we can do to help.

And the kids each have a turn cheering and being cheered for.
A lesson in selflessness. 

With all that being said I want to give a huge shout out to all those mommas out there doing things a bit differently and not signing up their 8 year old for tackle football.
Or their 3 year old for tball.
Or their 7 month old for gymnastics.
The ones that have taken a stand and are defending their family time.
Because sometimes we need permission to not to.

(Caleb's football Halloween costume when he was 22 months)