Monday, December 10, 2012

The gravity of parenting hurting kids

    It hasn't happened often...maybe never.  But tonight both girls were in a rage at the same time.  There was screaming, spitting, hitting, banging on walls, kicking, peeing and stealing.  I wish I could tell you I used some fantastic therapeutic technique, but I didn't.  I did keep them from hurting themselves and anyone else.
     There are moments in life when it hits me...what we are doing here.  The weight of it all pressing hard against me.  "What will this look like in 10 years?"  This question rings in my head more often than I'd like to admit.  I won't put to paper what my mind has come up with.
     I feel like we are in a battle!  Fighting for the future of our girls!  Fighting to break the cycle of their birth family.  Praying it would stop with them.  I get so weary at times and just want to stop fighting.  But then I get a glimpse of their future and know that these are precious days.  I know that on my own I have no power to heal them.  They need a savior! 
    
"He who forms the mountains,
creates the wind
and reveals his thoughts to man.
He who turns dawn to darkness,
and treads the high places of the earth
the Lord God Almighty is his name."
Amos 3:13

    How I pray that they would know Him through me.  That I would put off my fleshly desire to punish and instead give them grace.  That I would give them what has been so freely given to me.  
     
Our two girls are getting the help they need, but they represent hundreds who are not.  Without help these hurt children turn into broken adults.  I'm not asking you to adopt them, I'm asking you to open your eyes and see them!  They are all around you.  There is deep hurt behind their behavior.  If you want to make a difference in our society, start with a hurt child.

1 comment:

The Roses said...

I had read your other post first, and now see. What a breakthrough!