Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Decking the halls and my beef with Christmas



    



Today we took the kiddos to pick out a tree.
Actually the kids and I took Jim to pick out a tree.
He was on mission to find the tallest tree our living room could hold.
And it is perfect!:)
 
Christmas is always a bit of a struggle for me.
I LOVE it don't get me wrong, but I struggle with the notion.
I want to be generous to my kids because Christ has been generous with me;
but I don't want them to get caught up in the material side of Christmas.
I want us to give to people who don't have,
but I don't want our giving to come from our own desire to do good once a year,
which makes it quite selfish and cheap.
I want to enjoy the fun traditions of Christmas without 
taking away the real meaning we celebrate.

I guess what I mean is Christmas should be a time to shine a spotlight on the God we love and serve every other day of the year.
My day to day life should not look vastly different in December than it does in June...
other than the fact that there is a real, live tree in my living room and 15 lbs of sugar cookies on my counter.

How I pray that you would know the God you celebrate!