Monday, December 3, 2012

A new heart of flesh

 
This past week my character was thrown into question.
My heart and my charity got thrown back in my face.
And I was attacked at a very sensitive level.

I am so thankful for King David who in the Psalm wrote:
"Contend, O Lord with those who contend with me;
fight against those who fight against me.
Take up shield and buckler;
arise and come to my aid."
Psalm 35:1-2

That is exactly how I felt!
Lord, blast them!  Fight for me! Vindicate me!

But after a very LONG talk with a girlfriend,
and a shorter less emotional talk with Jim, the blood had drained out of my head and I could think somewhat clearly again.

I remember my old pastor repeating; 
"Ministry is messy."
It totally is.
It is messy, it is uncomfortable, but it is a picture of Christ.
 
The fact that today I sent a kind message back to my accuser is proof that God has given me a new heart.  
There is NO WAY I could've; or even would have wanted to be kind after that message.
But that's just how God works.
He takes out our heart of stone and replaces it with a heart of flesh (Ezekiel 36:26).
This new heart desires the things of God.
His Spirit reminds me of the many things I have been forgiven.
How could I not extend this same forgiveness?

God says it is the kindness of Christ that draws us to repentance (Romans 2:4).
That is what drew me to Him and that is what I can't help but give back.
As Christians we will not live without trouble;
in fact it seems like it may have increased.
But there is peace in the midst of chaos that can only come from Jesus.

 
Speaking of peace, have you seen this little girl lately?!
All I can say is praise God for His faithfulness and healing!!!

3 comments:

Seven From Heaven said...

Her smile is beautiful!

Nicole said...

Letting God fight for us is H*A*R*D! I tend to think I can do a faster, more efficient job then He can.

In this season of my life I'm learning to give myself a couple days before I respond. Emotions have run high (is that a part of entering my 30's??) and my first response usually isn't how I really feel once I consider all things.

Can't imagine your character being questioned, but glad for your new heart.

NEW MERCIES EACH DAY (hour, minute, second...)

Charlene said...

We'll see if my comment shows up (it never has before.)

I'm sorry to hear about your struggle this past week. I admire the way you are dealing with it. I also admire your openness about such things.

I'll keep you, Jim, and your lovely family in my prayers. I'm sure you'll be up to great things with your new church.

Charlene Crowder