Tuesday, August 14, 2012

a BOLD request

 (to go with my bold new hair style)


Next week is the 1 year anniversary of adopting our girls!
Most of you guys have walked through the process of us finding healing for Gianna and Audrey.
Most of you know all about RAD and how instability and neglect have shattered their self confidence, their trust and their self worth.

I have a very BOLD request of you, to help us celebrate all God has done in our lives and the lives of our sweet girls.
I want to do a Both Hands project in honor of Gianna and Audrey 
to benefit a local widow and to raise money for orphans in Guatemala.

What is Both Hands?
You can click on this link for a lengthy explanation.
Both Hands is a project to fulfill the scripture James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
We form a team, that team sends out letters to raise money for the orphans (100% goes to VOH Guatemala).  We go to a widows house and spend the day doing yard work, painting, pressure washing, cleaning, cooking and whatever else she may need.
Helping both the orphan and the widow.

Why Village of Hope?
Jim and I picked VOH because we have seen the need first hand.
Adoption at the moment is nearly impossible with Guatemala being closed to international adoption and the locals not wanting to adopt outside their blood line.
It has left orphanages filled with children with little to no hope of ever having a family.
Some of those children even have families here in the states but Guatemala closed adoptions during their process.
In 2011 there were only 32 adoptions in all of Guatemala, some of those were children who squeezed through and were able to join their American forever families.

VOH offers a family setting instead of institutional living.
Which means less likelihood of RAD, not to mention a more accurate, intimate view of God.

What do you want from me, man?!

I need help or I can't pull this thing off.

I need team members willing to spend a Saturday serving a widow (here's where fear will grip you and keep you from doing this thing) and to send out letters to their friends and family raising money for VOH.

I need at least 2 gift cards to nice restaurants.

I need plant material, possibly mulch donated.

And I need at least 2 families willing to lead this thing with me or I will go insane and start twitching and crying a lot.

Oh, is that all?
No, we also need your prayers.

God tells me to ask boldly:
"...you do not have because you do not ask."  James 4:2

So I am.  

Email me if you want to know more...
the_richardson_clan at comcast dot net

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I am in Beth! And so is Andrew (if he can get off on that saturday)

message me the needs and I will plug in every way I can.

Beth said...

Thank you Nicole!!! I am overwhelmed and encouraged by you guys!!!! I will message you!