Thursday, June 7, 2012

The story of us (part 1)

It has taken me months to get up the nerve to write this.  Maybe it's because we just had our 10 year anniversary or maybe it's because my girl's are starting to ask more questions and I want them to know how it all happened.  Or maybe I'm getting more sentimental in my old age.  Whatever the reason here it is, our story...


     It was the end of the summer of 2000 and I had just graduated nursing school and gone from being a nurses aid to a nurse on neurotrauma step-down at Roanoke Memorial.  I remember the nurses station was busy and I had drawn the short straw that day and had Mr W.   Mr W was a truck driver who had been in a wreck that left him with a brain injury.  He was often found flirting with nurses, exposing himself to visitors walking by his glass walled room, or cussing out a lab techs.   One time he asked my best friend Hannah, if she wanted a cupcake and then he proceeded to pull up his gown...

     Anyway, on that day he was mine.  I remember hearing him yell and then the alarms started going off. I was talking to him as I walked into his room, bracing myself for the nakedness I was sure to see. What I hadn't expected to see was one of the surgery interns in his room helping him back to bed.  As our eyes met suddenly I felt like I was the one with a brain injury as I tried without success to speak.  I think I finally came out with a "thank you."  The no named resident said something to me, something I probably was supposed to answer.  I was too busy staring at his blue eyes and his tan skin, and trying to get my racing heart under control.  Finally I pulled myself together and started talking to Mr. W.  A confused, naked patient is always a good distraction!  Then Mr. Blue eyes mentioned he liked my new hair cut and I was done.  "Think about something else Beth!"  "Think about your boyfriend.  Or about your 'never date a doctor- especially a surgeon' policy."  Then a fantastic idea came into my anoxic brain.  "Set him up with your roommate!  She's always complaining about her boyfriend!"

    Finally my feet found the floor and we parted ways.  As I rounded the corner to the nurses station, I was deep in thought about how I needed to tell Cindy to be on the lookout for a cute new intern.  That's when I got cornered by 3 nurses.  "whatcha doing?!"  "Who was that?!"  "You guys talked for a while.  What did he say?!"  I had forgotten the video camera was in that room.  Apparently the entire time we were talking a crowd was growing around the TV.  From that time on my phone rang almost every time Dr Blue Eyes came to our floor... which didn't seem near often enough!

to be continued...


read part 2 here
read part 3 here

3 comments:

Andy Jenkins said...

Love at first sight!

Kate said...

oh come on! Where's the rest!

Beth said...

just for you...
http://momsrambling.blogspot.com/2012/06/story-of-us-part-2-that-aint-no-farm.html