Thursday, March 29, 2012

the fine art of decision making


(Seth and Asher sharing a moment after having their diaper changed)

The last 3 years Jim and I have had to make more major decisions then I thought we would make in a lifetime.  Adoption, jobs, houses...and then there is the day to day stuff; what sport to put the kids in, what curriculum to use next year for school, which child to tend to first, the one throwing up or the one bleeding...you know the little things.
     So here it is our very simple process of making decisions.  First we pray about it ("do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, with prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your request to God" Philippians 4:6).
     Then we wait.  This is the part that always messes with you.  No matter if it is a huge decision like adoption (we need to commit right now or someone else will get the girls) or a small decision like signing up Caleb to play football (if I don't sign him up now he will miss deadline and his football career will be ruined!)  Sometimes we only have to wait over night, sometimes it's 10 years.
     Here is the really simple part.  If He doesn't speak...we don't move.  If He doesn't make it really really clear (like dropping the price of the house 50k or changing someone's heart that didn't want to adopt before) then we don't do it.
     This may seem really really simple and it is but when my world seemed like it was spinning out of control with major decisions to make this simple thing gave me the most peace.  Because I know how God moves!  If He wants me to do something, He will pester me until I either relent OR until I just chose to disobey Him.  He always makes Himself clear to me when He wants me to do something.  So if it's not clear then I'm not changing a thing.

"If you seek Him, He will be found by you, but if you forsake Him,
He will forsake you."
2 Chronicles 15:2

No comments: