Thursday, January 5, 2012

Timidly asking for your help


3 years ago today we were just getting to know our curly girls.  They were being cared for by another couple.  If I had know that these girl's were my daughters I would have moved Heaven and earth to make sure they had everything they needed in abundance!  But I didn't know.

God did.  And He provided a family to care for them until He brought them to us.  I am forever grateful for Grammy and Granddaddy (as they are known now), for filling the gap until we were there.

There are children all over the world who are waiting for their families.  Other people are taking them in; loving these children, feeding them, teaching some of them for the first time what love looks like.  One of these children may be yours, and you just don't know it yet.

Jim and I are joining a couple standing in the gap.  We are going to Guatemala at the end of May to help at Eagle's Nest orphanage.  I can't wait to wrap my arms around those kids!  Amy (of building the blocks) recently wrote that they had taken in 5 siblings that were found alone and eating dirt to survive.  And now the orphanage is full.  They will need $10,000 to add on another room.

It pierced my heart.  That could have been my child!  Alone, hungry, scared and on the street.  This is where my heart starts racing and my throat gets tight.  Jim and I have prayed and felt God leading us to raise $10,000 to help fill the addition with beds and blankets and other necessities.  And we want you to help!  There it is.  I said it.  I'm asking you for something!  I'm freaking out on the inside.  I would rather do just about anything than to ask you for something.  But that's just pride.  And those children are more important than my pride.

So here's the deal.  Not everyone can give money, but everyone can pray.  Please pray that those that have it to give will give and be blessed by it.  Pray that the money raised will reach the least of these.  That they will feel loved and safe.  That I would get over my pride issue and do the work God is giving me to do.  Pray that no honor would fall on Jim or I but be given to the God that took us in when we were broken and alone.

If you can give, email Amy at blockamy at hot mail dot com.   She will help you from there. Jim and I will match your gift.  But we will never know it was from you.  It would thrill my heart to get there $10 or $20 at a time!  We will do this until we get to $10,000.  Maybe I'll figure out how to put one of those ticker things on the side of my blog:)

Here is a link to Amy's blog so you can see more of the day to day life at the orphanage.


"Sometimes I would like to ask God, why He allows poverty,
famine and injustice in the world, when 
He could do something about it...but I'm afraid He might
ask me the same question."
~Anonymous  

4 comments:

Laura said...

oh my gosh! I linked onto your friends page and saw those two beautiful little girls that were dirty and I immediately started crying. God Bless Todd and Amy and you and your husband for helping these children.

Beth said...

i know laura! they broke my heart too!!! incredible poverty! thanks for your encouragement!

Keri said...

Hi Beth,

I've been lurking on your blog for a little more than a month now, and actually, the only reason I haven't commented yet is because I always read it on my e-reader, and I'm terrible at typing on that silly thing! :-) But I made a point to come here on my laptop tonight so that I could say hello.

My husband and I have 3 children ages 7, 5 and 3, and we have been praying since Autumn 2010 about how God would have us obey His command to care for orphans. Of course, adoption is a possibility, as is financial help for others who are adopting -- we're just praying and waiting for His leading.

And when I read this post, I DEFINITELY felt His leading to contribute to this orphanage. I'm very excited to hear something specific and concrete from Him after more than a year of praying! :-) We'll contact Amy to take care of the details.

I also wanted to thank you for sharing about RAD here on your blog. I was unaware that such a disorder existed, and I'm glad to learn about it, in case that's something that the Lord needs me to know about in the future.

Your family and Eagle's Nest Orphanage will be in our prayers.

Many blessings to you!

-Keri Brown (Louisville, KY)

Amy said...

Thank you- we love you guys so much already and cannot wait to meet you in person! :)