Thursday, January 12, 2012

making it real


Last week I asked you to help us raise money to help with an addition to Eagle's Nest Orphanage in Guatemala.  I was overwhelmed by the response we got!
I have friends making hair bows for the children.
People I have never even met have contacted me saying they have been searching for a way to 
help orphans and that this was an answer to that prayer!
What a huge encouragement!


Last week I started talking to our kids about the trip.
They were crazy excited about going to Grandma's for a week!
Once they calmed down I pulled up Amy's blog and started showing them pictures.


We talked about the things those children didn't have.  I tried my best to make it real to them.
I told them that the orphanage was full.  And that there are more kids there that don't have anything to eat.
That didn't register to my kids, they have never been truly hungry.
I told them that there are kids there that didn't have a bed to sleep in or a house to keep them warm.
Again this is so far from my children's life that they just can't even begin to imagine it (except for G).
But then I got to them...


I told them "do you remember the other night when you had a nightmare?" (looking at Caleb) 
"Well those kids don't have a Mommy or Daddy to hold them and tell them that everything is OK.
No one to pray with them and kiss them and carry them back to their warm bed."
That was it.  Caleb's eyes were watering.  Emma went right over to her piggy bank and poured everything she had into it.  Luke went and grabbed some skylanders for me to take to "the kids that don't have anything."

So the kids have started to collect money.
Jim and I are going to triple it and send it to Amy.
If you want to; pull up Amy's blog and have your children collect coins too.
We would be happy to triple your child's change as well.
Let them follow along and see how God multiplies their gift.

If you are interested in giving, contact Amy at blockamy at hot mail dot com.
Mention our name or this blog so that we can double your gift.
We will never know it was from you.
Amy will keep it anonymous.


"for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,
 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' 
Matthew 25:35 & 36

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Grace is tearful as I read her this blog. She has handed over her piggy bank and is searching for more money :) But the only thing she said is, "can we PLEASE ask them to bring one...just ONE...child back? I could hold them and hug them and pray with them when they have a bad dream. I could REALLY love a sibling!!"
p.s. do you know of any supplies they need? Gracie has a WalMart gift card she would like to spend on these precious little ones.