Thursday, December 8, 2011

Feelings


We are dealing with a lot of big scary feelings around here.
Lots of screaming, yelling, tearing stuff up...it ain't pretty!
This time of year is always bad.
We have the anniversary of the girl's removal from their birth mom, Gianna's birthday and Christmas all packed into 8 weeks.

Today I was desperately searching for something to help G with her funk and I came across a video from Christine Moers about feelings.
She recommended using a "circle of mad" sheet to help kids put names to their big feelings.
So I made up our own using words that G has used in the past.

Thought you might like a little visual to go along with it...



happy


excited


loved


not loved


scared


sad


funky
(this is the word we use when things are just starting to get stirred up inside)


extra friend
I'm going to lose some of you here.
G has talked about a voice inside her. I believe that this voice is not from God.
I also believe that there is a spiritual realm that we (as Christians) don't talk about often.
This is my non threatening way to allow her to tell us about it if she wants.


angry


plain ole
This is a term Audg came up with when she was describing
my Halloween outfit (or lack there of)
"Mommy's just plain ole"
(can't hear that enough)



nobody
One thing that has come out a lot is that when G is triggered she wants to either change who she is (be a boy). Or she wants to disappear. "I'M G-BUG NOBODY!!!"
After a rage I'll often find her hiding between the dresser and the bed curled over in a ball, trying desperately to make herself disappear.

"You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who
is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."
1 John 4:4

1 comment:

The Popes said...

that sweet, sweet girl. dealing with such BIG emotions and feelings. I pray for her everyday.

And PS - kudos for teaching her about the Spirit World. the best defense is knowing that it has no power that we don't give it.

She's gonna do BIG things in her life.