Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Your questions answered: "Are all those kids yours?!!"


So here is my official answer to the most common question we get.
"Are all those kids yours?!"
Seriously, we get this question at least 4 times a week!
Usually it's said with curiosity or amusement, occasionally it's with some judgement.

I don't blame them.
When you watch the kids roll out of our 15 passenger van like Mary Poppins's handbag, you can't help but wonder if it's a small daycare!

This question was hard for me to answer at first. Because for the first year and a half they really weren't "all mine." We had custody while trying to reunite them with their birth mother. The girls didn't feel like they were "all mine" yet.
I struggled with what my answer should be.
Yet if they weren't "mine" then who's were they?

I realized very early that the way I answered this question needed to have little to do with the person asking and a lot to do with the little ears that were listening.
And they listen!

So I really don't mind at all when people ask.
I actually enjoy it.
I love seeing G's eyes disappear as she smiles deep when I say proudly
"Yes they are all mine!"

My answer is the same every time BUT peoples responses are not.
Here are a few of my favorites:

1. "Wow! I bet Christmas is fun at your house!"
2. Are they twins?!
3. "You mean even those black babies?" As she stares back and forth from Jim and I
4. "So how old is the oldest?"

and still my all time favorite response...

Why yes ma'am we are.

Do you have a question you have been dying to ask? Send it to me and I'll do my best to answer. Just try to keep the name calling to a minimum; it brings out the country in me:)

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Such a beautiful family! I was homeschooled as a child, loved it, and someday hope to adopt. So...do you ever sleep? =)