Saturday, September 24, 2011

Jesus, Satan and hormones

(check out my new do!)

You know that feeling when you KNOW you are being crazy and emotional but you just can't seem to help it?! Yep, I'm there right now!

I know my body is flushing out a ton of hormones. I get cold and 2 min later I am sweating buckets. I look at Asher and tears well up in my eyes. But postpartum hormones always takes another unfriendly toll on me. Mommy guilt! I feel guilty for not having the day structured, I feel guilty that I haven't spent enough time with each of the kids, I feel guilty that I've been on Face book. I start questioning things that I never question. Like homeschooling! And my marriage. And my new hair color:)

Some day I'll tell you about my postpartum depression after Luke. I'm on the look out for it this time. It seems to start as a small lie that I believe. A lie that I would never believe at any other time in my life but right after having a baby. A lie like, "your husband doesn't love you!" or "you are not a good mother." Then it strikes fear in me and doubt and shame. I believe that this is more than just hormones and more than just postpartum depression but an attack.

The Bible says that Satan came to "steal, kill, and destroy." (John 10:10) but that Jesus came to give us "abundant life." When Luke was little I gave up weeks being tormented by doubt, shame and visions of horrible things...I missed out on the joy of him.

I am on guard this time. Better prepared. I now know the signs. I also know the enemy...intimately. I know that right now I need to guard my heart. That means I don't read or watch the news now. I avoid seeing anything sad or tragic. Once I have read it or see it it replays in my mind over and over. I have had to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Cor 10:5)

I can honestly say I am glad I went through it when I did. God had never been more real to me than in those weeks! I believe by going through that it strengthened my faith and prepared me for the 2 years of uncertainty that came when we got our girls. I also learned more about who God really is...I experienced the verse "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." (Exodus 14:14)

BUT I hope I learned enough the first time around! I'm praying I don't have to go down that road again! But if I do I will trust that in the end it will be good for me.

"But as for me, I trust in you."
Psalm 55:23


1 comment:

Barb G said...

Will be praying for you, my friend, in the days and weeks ahead. (((hugs)))