Monday, September 19, 2011

fall nostalgia

I'm not sure if it's just that time of year, or the sudden exit of a ton of hormones,
or watching my kids play outside and wishing they had a bale of hay to jump on.

But fall always makes me think of this...

The crisp cool breeze of the VA farm...

And home makes me think of this...

My Granddaddy

And Granddaddy always makes me think of Jesus.

He was a man that lived what he believed.
He loved his family well.
He served his neighbor when he could.
He beat the golden rule into our heads...
(and now I'm doing the same to my kids)
but never beat his religion onto anyone else.

He was a simple man.
But he possessed what the rest of this world is chasing...
contentment and love.

It's been almost a year and my throat still closes in and my eyes grow wet thinking
of what we have lost...
and what Heaven gained.

"Grey hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life."
Proverbs 16:31

No comments: