Tuesday, August 23, 2011

ADOPTION DAY!!!!

"...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:31

(hey, anybody know this guy??? The professor in back to the future?)


It finally happened!
Today our adoption was finalized!
What an amazing day. I can 't help but sit back and be in awe of what God has done in our lives.
Even just recently with court being called off a few weeks ago I have seen how Gianna needed that extra time.

While I was strapping the kids in the van this morning, Gianna saw our friend, Ms Kim, pulling out of their driveway. She asked if she could tell her what today was. Then she ran out of the van and yelled, "MS KIM! I'M GOING TO GET ADOPTED TODAY!!!"
I fought back tears.

As I look back over the past 2 1/2 years many things overwhelm me.
One is the way God kept His promise to us:

"If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand."
Psalm 37:23 & 24

There were many many times during this process that I wanted to go my own way.
It was obvious what God wanted me to do and I simply did NOT want to do it!
Some times I even decided that I wouldn't do it.
I would wrestle with God until finally I gave in and did what He was leading.
(usually it had to do with reaching out to bio mom,
or even being OK with helping her parent the girls if her heart was for them)

Left to my own desires I would have chosen my way over His.
But over the course of my life God has shown me who He is...and who He is not.
I think about it like this...if you have a good Daddy, one that you know loves you and doesn't want to hurt you and ultimately has all the power in the world...
then why on earth would you want to rebel against Him?
Yet I still do the very same thing.

It's important to me that you and the girls know that none what you have seen or read about in our adoption journey has anything to do with how good we are!
I know without a doubt we were incapable of traveling this road.
It was hard!
It was exhausting!
It was sad!
It was selfless!
It was flooded with heartbreak and frustration!
We were totally and completely incapable of doing it!
I know without a shadow of a doubt that God carried us through it!
Please know that what you see here is not our goodness but God's amazing grace!


(before leaving for court)

(the first time I was excited about walking into this building)


(the entire family including the girl's grandma)

(the girl's with their guardian ad litem- who was amazing!)

(our last walk through these doors...HALLELUJAH!!!)


(it's official!)

(sweet Ms. Kim decorated our window!)

(celebrating our forever day at chuck e cheese)






Thank you for crying, laughing and celebrating with us!
Thank you for the time you have spent on your knees for our family!
We are grateful and humbled!

2 comments:

The Ellis Family said...

I can't tell you how excited I am for all of you!!!! I know God has awesome plans in store for each one of the seven Richardson children! We love you!

Barb G said...

Adoption Day was as holy for me as my wedding day. Like my husband and I, we were already family, but the formal 'doing' of the whole thing, the formal saying of forever and ever and ever. I will never forget. I can tell you won't either, dear friend. (((hug)))