Saturday, July 16, 2011

there are no orphans of God

Today was one of those, I can't believe this is my life, kind of days!


We started out checking out downtown Beaufort's water festival
and gawking over the enormous houses!

We ate some free snow cones
(another one of my cravings this pregnancy)
and played on one of the coolest playgrounds I have ever seen
(I am somewhat of an expert on this, that and diaper changing- it's my claim to fame)


Then we headed to Hunting Island State Park.
It was gorgeous!

The first thing Seth did was torture the seagulls...

No bird was safe!



Caleb found a starfish and then broke the starfish

But here is the real star of the show!!!
G bug!
Last year we took her and Audrey to the beach for the first time ever.
When G gets scared she gets MAD!
Last year she took one look at the ocean, turned around, slugged me and ran as fast as she could back to the hotel.
She spent a lot of time and energy trying to take control over anything and everything to make herself feel safe.

This year she took one look at the ocean and ran straight into it.
I was so happy to see her enjoying herself I fought back tears.

When we first thought of taking the girls in I began dreaming...
dreaming of things we could show them, places we could take them, and things we could do for them that they may have never had.
I basically couldn't wait to give them good things and good memories.
I was in for the shock of my life when not only did they reject any and every good thing we tried to do or give but they sabotaged any fun that was to be had.
It was sad and miserable to watch them want to have fun but to be too scared to or to let anyone else have fun either.

I needed so badly to see this face!
I needed to see proof that the girls are healing!

It seems to be such a slow process.
One that is paved in my own guilt and hurt.
A road drenched in the girl's shame and fear...
you wonder if you will ever have a happy peaceful moment again.
And then the sun comes out...

I had a verse stick in my head as I watched the girls play and giggle and laugh:

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.
I come that they might have life and have it abundantly"
John 10:10

Today I watched the girls live, and it was good for my soul!

And now back to our regularly scheduled picture program...




Tonight before bed, the boys were picking music to listen to and Caleb put in the song
(Thanks Grammy and Granddaddy)

"come ye unwanted and find affection
come all ye weary, come lay down your head..."

The perfect ending to a perfect day!

2 comments:

The Popes said...

LOVE watching them heal! Seeing them experience new things for the first time is the best. I love that our kids will never know how bad they almost had it.

God is good. All the time.

Erin said...

What leaps and bounds they have come with lots of love and prayers :) What a proud momma you must be! It looks like you are having an amazing time, and keep eating those sno-cones . . .they sound perfect this time of year!!!