Wednesday, June 8, 2011

pediatric dermatology 101



After VBS I took Emma and Gianna to the pediatrician. Believe it or not this was only our 4th or 5th non well check up visit ever! In 6 years! With 6 kids!!!!! That is unheard of. I don't feed them organic food and we don't wash our hands 25 times an hour so my best guess is God has had mercy on us!

Today we went because of this...


and this...

(is she not pitiful?!)


G was easily diagnosed with eczema with empetigo. Now I know you think I should know about these things seeing I was a ped nurse but I worked in the ICU. Skin rashes were not our biggest concern. Translation: I know nothing about eczema!!! Come to find out I was doing everything wrong. She is supposed to be bathed with a mild soap (not mr bubbles), our Dr recommended cetaphil soap. And within 10 min of her bath she is supposed to have a moisturizer put on (she also recommended cetaphil). They gave us bactroban to put on it for the infection. And mupirocin, a steroid ointment for when the eczema flares up.

Emma's rash they can't quite figure out. She has had it 11 days with no other symptoms except itching. It is a reaction to something, I think the sun. Anyway they gave her an oral steroid.

Then there is Audrey...
Must find boo boo...

HERE'S ONE!!!


yes Audrey, I think we need to make another trip tomorrow!!!



1 comment:

Flaky said...

Lol at Audrey! You would be surprised how many adults show me things like that as proof of eczema.
I just wanted to suggest going easy on the steroid ointments as they do thin the skin a bit. I doubt if this is the first time it would ever do that but if the problem continues for over a year steroids will contribute to the cycle. Of course this advice comes from someone who uses them daily.