Friday, May 13, 2011

Mrs Penny Leonhard's Pizza Bread (PW style)



Mrs Penny Leonhard is one of the best examples of a true servant that I know! I first met Mrs Penny when she talked to my MOPS group about homeschooling. I asked the totally lame question, "What if you want your kids to play sports?" Which she answered brilliantly! Anyway just a week later she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

A while after that I found myself home with 5 children 5 years old and under. I was asking around for some help at home and someone recommended Kessia, Mr Bill and Mrs Penny's daughter. Kessia started coming and helping me a few times a week. During this time it was discovered that Mrs Penny's cancer was terminal. She was in a lot of pain and sometimes had a hard time standing for long periods of time. Imagine my shock when Kessia told me her mom wanted to come to my house and show me how to make pizza bread!!! I was speechless! We had been invited to their house and had the famous pizza bread and I really wanted to know how to make it. But the thought of this sweet woman standing in my kitchen for well over an hour cooking for me was hard for me to accept. But I did and I'm so so glad!!!

It is said that our life on earth is but a breath and I know that is true, but it's the memories we make that live for many lifetimes! I think of Mrs Penny every week as I roll out dough for my family. I tell my daughters about the day she came and taught me to make pizza bread and cinnamon rolls. It is my way of trying to encourage my kids to have a servants heart just like Mrs Penny, but it is also my way of making sure this sweet ladies legacy lives for generations! Here's to you Mrs Penny...


OK so dust off that bread machine you got for your wedding or borrow your Momma's. You know the one you thought would make your life so much easier? I promise it still can! We are going to do this pioneer woman style. I am not responsible for the hours you will spend on her website OR the 5 extra pounds you will gain from cooking her food.

This is what you will need: canola oil, 1 egg, 12 oz warm water, 4 1/3 cups of bread flour (or 2 2/3 bread flour and 1 2/3 whole wheat flour), 1/2 c milk powder, sugar, salt, instant yeast

Add wet ingredients to bread pan, then add the dry

Set the machine (this will be different for each bread machine) Mine I scroll down to the dough setting and then 1hour 30 mins pops up. I mixed this in the morning and wanted it to be finished at 4 so I just pushed the up arrow until it was at 6 hours. It's a beautiful thing!

Then it beeps, and just look what you made! Gorgeous darling!

Push it down gently* (I let one of the kids push it down and it never rose again-consider yourself warned)

Pull half of it out and place on floured surface.

Grab the cutest helper you can find. (she had a run in with her toy grocery cart if you are wondering)
Roll it into a rectangle. This is the hardest part. Mine is still no where near as nice as Mrs Penny's but it's a whole lot better than when I first tried! Now from here I sometimes jump over to pioneer woman's website and make her cinnamon rolls. You will be sending me love letters if you try it, promise!

Line pepperoni a little off center. I usually do a row of 3 but I only had one bag.


Cover with mozzarella, or whatever you would like.

Tuck them in

Then repeat with the top layer


Cover that layer and tuck bread under at ends and sides. Stand back and marvel at what you just made!

Butter a baking sheet (makes pizza bread brown in oven and not get soggy...who wants a soggy bottom?!) Cut slits in top, just cause it's pretty and Mrs Penny did it. Now let it rise for at least 30 min

Get a cute little boy to spread a beaten egg on top. This makes it shiny and gorgeous! Now stick it in the oven at 350 for 18-20 min

Get your sauce ready. This is what we use...or whatever was on sale with a coupon:)

Stand back in amazement at what just came out of your oven! It is a piece of art! Cut it into strips and just hope you have some left overs for tomorrow...we did not!


The great thing about this recipe is that you can make pizza bread, dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls all with the same recipe! This is by far the kids favorite meal. Let me know what you think.

Here is the recipe. I tried to scan the original but you couldn't read it. If you would like the original please email me and I will send it to you (it has much more specific instructions for cinnamon rolls):

Ingredients
  • 1/3 Cup Butter, margarine or canola oil
  • 1 Egg
  • 12 Ounces Water, warm not hot
  • 4 1/3 Cups Bread flour (2 2/3 bread flour 1 2/3 whole wheat flour)
  • 1/2 Cup Milk powder
  • 3 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 3 tsp Instant yeast

Directions
  1. Add first 3 wet ingredients. Then add dry ingredients. Set machine to wet cycle and push start. After 7 or 8 min check the dough (usually lasts 1 1/2 hrs)
  2. At the end of the cycle remove dough. Divide and shape (dinner rolls, inn rolls, pep bread). Place on greased cookie sheet cover with cloth. Allow to rise for 30 min. Bake at 350 for 18-20 min
  3. Makes 24 dinner rolls, 12 hamburger buns, 24 inn rolls, or 2pizza breads.

No comments: